While you may not spend much time in your closet, it’s where you begin your day, and you want to get off to a great start! With a little bit of time and effort, you can have clutter-free and neatly organized closet. You will not only make it easier to get dressed in the morning, but you can also create more storage space for the things you need to keep.
Try these 10 tips for an organized closet!
- Clothes don’t last forever! They go out of style, become too big or too small, or maybe you just don’t like something anymore. Start sorting your clothing and part with any item you have not worn in the past year.
- Organize by type: short sleeve/sleeveless blouse/shirt, long sleeved blouse/shirt, jackets, pants, capris, skirts, dresses, suits, etc. This makes mixing and matching easier. Label each section so you can always return an item to its proper home. Try a Simple Division Garment Organizer Set, which includes 60 bilingual wardrobe labels and 12 dividers.
- Organize clothes by the color of the rainbow – white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, brown, grey, and black. This makes mixing and matching easier, too!
- Re-hang all of your clothes with the hanger backwards. When you wear something, turn the hanger it around. In a couple of months, it will be obvious what you don’t wear. Now part with it!
- Use shoe racks to keep shoes from becoming a pile on the floor. Group by type and then color. For example, keep dress shoes together and line them up by the colors of the rainbow. On another rack, organize your casual shoes the same way.
- Fold sweaters and keep them neat using Neatnix Fold & Stack, which will prevent stacks from tipping over.
- Get slimline hangers, like the Soft Grip Suit Hangers. It’s amazing the amount of space you will recapture just by changing out your bulky plastic hangers for slimmer ones.
- Repurpose an old shopping bag as a donate bag – and use it! When it’s full, deliver it to your local charity, and start a new donate bag.
- Hang belts & scarves to make them visible. This makes it easier to mix & match and find what you need. Try this Chrome Clothing Accessory Loop.
- Now that your closet is organized, keep it that way! Make your new motto, “One In & One Out.” When shopping, remember that nothing goes into your closet without one thing coming out. When you know you have to give up something old for to buy something new, it’s easier to decide if the new item is something you really need or something you can do without.